schedule 4.sch.0002 Louis J. Sheehan, Esquire

No. 289

Louis J. Sheehan, Esquire

FROM: Hollywood (Nakauchi)                                                            June 10, 1941

TO: Washington                                                                                   # 36.


To the Naval Attaché from TERAI.

1. Our lawyer is of the opinion that KONO [a] should be (kept in the country for thirty days ?) in view of the danger that he might give evidence unsatisfactory to TACHIBANA [b]. It would be wise to subsidize him. Furthermore, as KONO has no funds, the lawyer has suggested that the Navy be responsible for paying this man a subsidy of $25,000 and all court costs. In order that the Navy be kept out of the picture, some of KONO’s friends should be selected to appear to be supporting him. We are in the process of making these arrangements. Should you have any objection to this manner of procedure, please advise us.

Furthermore, in view of the fact that ‑‑‑‑- is a good friend of the Intelligence Chief and in cahoots with the investigating authorities, it would be wise for the Navy to have little to do with the matter.

2. Though our lawyer would not predict the outcome of this incident, as the hearings will be complicated, at the very earliest it will be tomorrow, the 11th, before counter‑schemes can be developed.

It is going to be necessary for TACHIBANA to have frequent communication with the lawyer; therefore, we believe that it would be ill‑advised for TACHIBANA to go to Washington at the present time.

[a] TACHIBANA’s chauffeur.

[b] Japanese Naval Language Official who has been held on charges of espionage.

Trans. 6‑25‑41


No. 290

FROM: Hollywood (Nakauchi)                                                            June 18, 1941

TO: Washington                                                                                   # 44.


Re wire # 99 [a] to the Minister.

At noon on the 18th, the immigration official stated that there was no relationship between this and the incident in which Commander TACHIBANA was subpoenaed. Though he stated that he would make a detailed report of the results of his investigation, he has no objection to the condition that this man has resided in the country (a period of twelve months beginning the month of ‑‑‑‑‑) and has gone to and from Mexico without having secured a visa from the American Consul in Mexico. Though it is felt that in order to establish an excuse for his violation of the immigration law, which should appear to have no direct connection with ‑‑‑‑- incidents, we should make it appear to be of similar nature to the cases of Lieutenant Commander OKADA [a] and Secretary WAKATSUKI.

Relayed to Tokyo.

[a] Not available.

[b] Japanese Naval Language Officer.

Trans. 6‑25‑41

No. 291

FROM: Tokyo (Jap Foreign Minister)                                                  June 21, 1941

TO: Washington (Koshi)                                                                      # 307.

Regarding my # 294 [a]:

Although we have not yet received a reply, please let us know, at once, the facts and the background of this incident.

While it is time that the United States did make a friendly gesture in connection with the TACHIBANA affair, we are constantly watching the restrictions placed on gasoline exports to Japan as a sort of barometer to evaluate the sincerity of the United States toward us.

[a] Tokyo requests Washington to wire his opinion regarding the order prohibiting loading of lubricating oil on the Azuma Maru at Philadelphia, and prospects of future supplies of kerosene, etc.

Trans. 6‑25‑41

No. 292

FROM: San Francisco (Muto)                                                              June 21, 1941

TO: Washington                                                                                   # 026.

Commander Tachibana sailed [a] from here without mishap on the 21st by the Nitta Maru.

[a] By request! DoD comment: footnote as in original translation.

Trans. 7‑1‑41



No. 293

FROM: Los Angeles (Nakauchi)                                                          June 17, 1941

TO: Tokyo (Gaimudaijin)                                                                    # 098.

On the 17th, courier Yamazaki is sailing for Japan on the Nitta Maru with various documents, wherefore, please see to it that he meets no difficulty with the customs inspection.

Trans. 6‑19‑41

No. 294

FROM: San Francisco (Muto)                                                              May 28, 1941

TO: Tokyo                                                                                           # 86.

(Part 1 of 2)

Strictly Secret.

While the Nichi Shin Maru, of the Pacific Whaling Steamship Company, was coming into Port Costa (approximately 20 miles from San Francisco) in order to take on petroleum, under suspicion of carrying contraband drugs the interior of the ship was searched by customs officials about noon on the ‑‑‑‑‑. In order to burn them, should the need arise, Naval “SA” code, secret Naval documents in the custody of the captain, secret wireless telegraphy documents in the custody of the Chief Radio Operator, meteorological codes belonging to the Central Meteorological Bureau, planning board codes, and other secret documents, under pretext of passing inspection were taken away. As soon as I had been informed of this by telephone, I immediately filed a protest with the local customs officials and demanded the return of these documents. They replied that they had decided to return these documents at a later date to the fishing vessel after an investigation had been made into the facts of the case.

Trans. 6‑11‑41

No. 295

FROM: San Francisco (Muto)                                                              May 28, 1941

TO: Tokyo                                                                                           # 86.

(Part 2 of 2)

I think that it is necessary, in addition to immediately stopping the use of these codes, to take drastic emergency measures to prevent the recurrence of this sort of thing.

Furthermore, according to the report made by the captain who presented himself at this office immediately after the incident had occurred, these documents had been placed for safe‑keeping in the Chief Radio Operator’s room because of the great inconvenience of keeping them in the captain’s room. While the Chief Operator was alone in the room six customs officials burst in in order to search it. Upon finding these documents, they laid hands on the Chief Operator and by brute force took them from him.

Trans. 6‑11‑41


No. 296

FROM: Tokyo                                                                                     May 31, 1941

TO: Washington                                                                                   # 263.

Re messages # 86 [a] and # 87 [b] from San Francisco to this office.

We understand that our Naval Attaché made a representation to the U.S. Navy Department concerning this matter. Regardless of what the official reasons were, it seems apparent to us that it was done at Britain’s request. It was done in the hopes of obtaining some definite proof that Japanese ships on the “black list” prepared by Britain were aiding Germany.

Even if we put aside the legal aspect of the incident, in which such extreme measures were taken with the vague excuse of searching for narcotics, the effect this incident has upon the already critical U.S.‑Japanese relations is very serious. In view of this fact, will you make appropriate representations to the bureau concerned of the State Department?

[a] Available, See II, 194 and 195.

[b] Concerns seizure of papers on West Coast by narcotics agents.

Trans. 6‑2‑41

(Nos. 297-304 not in text. LWJ)

No. 305

FROM: Tokyo                                                                                     July 2, 1941

TO: Washington                                                                                   # 325.

Re my # 319 [a].

On the 20th of June, the Office of the Governor General of CHOSEN submitted a telegram saying that if the State Department or the mission headquarters will arrange to have this missionary removed to his native land, the Governor Generalcy is prepared to settle the matter in the manner described in part 1 of my caption message. Will you immediately go and ask the State Department to have this missionary brought home. Please wire me back the results.

[a] In which the Governor General agreed to cancel the prosecution of missionaries alleged to have distributed dangerous literature on condition that they are ordered home.

Trans. 7‑5‑41

No. 306

FROM: Washington (Nomura)                                                             July 2, 1941

TO: Tokyo                                                                                           # 458.

Re your # 325 [a].

Will you please wire me back the names of an memoranda concerning the Americans in question?

The State Department says that the appellants are only accused of distributing disturbing printed matter and that this is not enough to warrant our demanding the removal of all fourteen of them.

[a] See II, 305.

Trans. 7‑5‑41



No. 307

FROM: Washington (Nomura)                                                             July 8, 1941

TO: Tokyo                                                                                           # 472.

Re your # 332 [a].

None of the names of those concerned are known at the State Department either. Please repeat, giving the full names in English.

[a] Not available.

Trans. 7‑10‑41

No. 308

FROM: Tokyo                                                                                     July 8, 1941

TO: Washington                                                                                   # 344.

Re my # 325 [a].

We have received the following advice from the office of the Governor General of CHOSEN:

The trial of OKADA was finished on July 4th, and the verdict will be passed on the 21st. The United States has put it up to us that, if we expect a lenient decision, an indispensable term will be that the defendant must be taken out of the country. Now, the prayer meeting incident is a parallel case; so, will you please negotiate with the American Government to have the accused likewise evacuated.

In spite of what you said in your # 458 [b], we do not wish the question of the evacuation demanded by the office of the Governor General to be left pending for a long time now that Japanese‑American relations are so strained. Therefore, we think it quite proper that you return to the State Department and inform the officials that we wish them to comply with our request.

[a] See II, 305 in which Tokyo requests Washington to ask the State Department to have the missionary brought home.

[b] See II, 306 in which Nomura wires Tokyo that the State Department does not think the accusation of distributing disturbing printed matter is enough to warrant demanding the removal of all 14 of the Americans in question.

Trans. 7‑9‑41

No. 309

FROM: Washington (Nomura)                                                             July 8, 1941

TO: Tokyo                                                                                           # 480.

Re your # 344 [a].

On the 8th, IGUCHI [b], informed Section Chief HAMILTON of the contents of your instructions, saying that he hoped all of the accused would be evacuated. HAMILTON replied, “The State Department knows that BOTT (?), etc., are charged with distributing pamphlets advocating peace which were distributed in various countries throughout the world. The crime is very slight and the deportation of all people concerned would be a severe punishment. Furthermore, the Church authorities are also undesirous of seeing these people evacuated. In exchange for


the friendly manner in which we handled the TACHIBANA incident, don’t you think you could drop this matter in some way or other? Now, with respect to DeCAMP and ROWE (?), you are pressing us very hard. If possible, I would like for you to have this matter discussed with the Church officials in Korea.” IGUCHI replied: “The Chosen authorities, in view of their policy of a political solution, are combining the two incidents into one and, unless those involved in the prayer meeting incident are also evacuated, it may be difficult to show any leniency to DECAMP and ROWE (?); however, I will report all you say.”

Will you please report this to the Governor General and take what measures you deem proper? Please wire me back.

[a] See II, 308 in which Tokyo tells the advice received from the Office of the Governor General of Chosen and asks that the State Department be informed that they wish them to comply with Japanese requests for the evacuation of the accused missionaries.

[b] Japanese Embassy Counselor in Washington.

Trans. 7‑14‑41

No. 310

FROM: Washington (Nomura)                                                             July 10, 1941

TO: Tokyo                                                                                           # 491.

Louis J. Sheehan, Esquire

Re my # 480 [a] .

On the 9th, Representative HOOPER of the Presbyterian headquarters in New York came to Washington and I had IGUCHI interview him. HOOPER said: “Our branch in Keijo will first decide upon whether or not the missionaries are to be evacuated from Chosen and then seek the concurrence of the main headquarters. Now, if as a result of representations made by the Governor General to our representative in Chosen, HERBERT BLAIR, the latter should request the headquarters to agree to the evacuation of DeCAMP and ROWE (?), we will wire them back our approval immediately.” Furthermore, with respect to the prayer meeting incident, HOOPER presented the following plea: “When the accused translated into Korean the English text, they did so in such a manner as to prevent any misunderstanding on the part of Japan. They even first submitted them to the Police. They are endeavoring to cooperate with the Japanese and since Dr. Clark, Miss Covington and Mrs. Moore have already decided to leave Korea, cannot the matter be dropped at that?”

I think that it would be a good idea for us to agree to this as a friendly gesture for the way they have settled the TACHIBANA incident.

[a] July 8, 1941; II, 301.

Trans. 7‑14‑41



No. 311

FROM: Tokyo (Foreign Minister)                                                        July 14, 1941

TO: Washington                                                                                   # 363.


The “prayer‑meeting incident” comes under the Army‑Navy Criminal Law and the Law for the Provisional Control of Disturbing Literature. In connection with this important event, the Procurator’s Office has started investigation of 16 of the approximate 30 persons concerned. As a result of the prosecutor’s investigation, four, BUTTS, BLAIR, POLLARD and MOORE, are regarded as ringleaders. Others considered to be deeply involved in the incident are BERNHEISELL, HILL, CLARK, DELMARTER, ROSS, COVINGTON, COOK, BERGMAN and CROTHEGS. Magnanimity is shown in the requirement, along lines of fixed policy, that the above‑mentioned 13 persons must withdraw to their home country. The others are being overlooked (disregarded).

The sentence of the two involved in the Oasa affair will be postponed until the 11th. In regard to this withdrawal (return), with the consent of the Executive Committee of the Northern Presbyterian Church in the Eastern district, it was advised that guarantee of withdrawal be given. This will be submitted after the urgently convoked resolution of the committee.

Trans. 7‑16‑41

No. 312

FROM: Tokyo                                                                                     July 17, 1941

TO: Washington                                                                                   # 380.

We have settled the incident mentioned in the Director of the Foreign Section Suwa’s telegram # 50 to Tokyo by having two members of the legal committee of the American Presbyterian Mission in Chosen, Miller and RAINA give guarantee that RO and DEKINYANPU would be evacuated.

Regarding the prayer meeting incident there has been a request to have the matter “dropped” with the return of three members, however the authorities concerned are doing their best from a legal standpoint to settle the matter as leniently as possible but they desire to have arrangements made with the other party immediately for the return of the 13 persons most seriously involved, (excluding Clark who is returning on account of illness).

Furthermore, Mrs. Moore is a Methodist missionary and is not a member of the Northern Presbyterians. The members at the New York headquarters of the Northern Presbyterians said at first that they would have the English translated into Korean and then before distributing the literature they would send it to the police station. However, there is no evidence of their ever having done so. In spite of the fact that this point concerns the publication we are willing to overlook that point, and merely treat the question as matter of seditious literature. Please convey this to the New York head office.

Trans. 7‑18‑41


No. 313

FROM: Tokyo                                                                                     July 17, 1941

TO: Washington                                                                                   # 370.

Re my # 362 [a].

The government‑general sent word again as noted in my separate telegram # 380 [b]. In reply, I told the government‑general that it was impossible to show any more leniency than had been shown. Please make strong representations to America to make settlement along the lines of my separate telegram and wire the result.

[a] Not available.

[b] See II, 312.

Trans. 7‑18‑41

No. 314

FROM: Washington                                                                             July 19, 1941

TO: Tokyo                                                                                           # 533.

Re your # 380 [a].

The State Department has taken the position from the first that this matter was not a request from the State Department but rather an appeal to Japan’s “goodwill”. Moreover, the church headquarters say that conditions are such that it is very difficult to advise the return of the missionaries. The State Department goes a step further and says it cannot interfere in the matter and while it regrets the matter it cannot act as an intermediary in the return of the 13 missionaries. (It requested that it be informed upon the settlement of Matsuo incident). Again, the church representative Hooper was summoned by Iguchi, who made an earnest statement regarding the government‑general’s kind intentions. (Indicating your telegram # 380 [b]). Hooper expressed his thanks for the government’s kind intentions and at the same time explained that the church, from matters of policy, could not return the missionaries living in Korea in connection with the prayer meeting incident, nor issue orders for their return.

In regard to the RO incident he said that he thought there was no other way to handle it than to confer directly with the local church authorities on the spot. Please arrange to have this done immediately. If this does not result in a solution to the problem I think there is nothing to do but drop the matter of the return of the 13 persons.

Furthermore, inasmuch as the pamphlets concerned in the prayer meeting incident were translated directly from the English to Japanese in Tokyo and then distributed, I do not see how there could be any problem in this connection.

[a] The authorities concerned are doing their best to settle the prayer meeting incident as leniently as possible, but they desire that arrangements be made for the return of the 13 persons most seriously involved. July 17, 1941, II, 312.

Trans. 7‑24‑41



No. 315

FROM: Tokyo                                                                                     July 19, 1941

TO: Washington                                                                                   # 386.

Re your # 472 [a].

The full names of those whose evacuation the Governor General demands, are as follows:

1. Miss Alice Mabel Butts

2. Mr. H. E. Blair

3. Miss H. E. Pollard

4. Mrs. J. Z. Moore (Ruth Benedict)

5. Mrs. C. F. Bernheisel (Helen K.)

6. Mr. H. J. Hill

7. Mr. C. A. Clark

8. Miss J. Delmarten

9. Miss L. Ross

10. Miss H. Covington

11. Mrs. W. T. Cook (Maude H.)

1 12. Miss G. 0. Bergman

13. Mrs. J. Y. Crothers (Ellen Ann McClung)

[a] Ambassador requests a repetition of names from Tokyo. July 8, 1941; II, 299.

Trans. 7‑21‑41

No. 316

FROM: Washington (No signature)                                                      June 5, 1941

TO: Tokyo (Oimatu)


As Japanese Embassy has already been informed in regard to Kokuyo Maru, should Japanese government wish to establish for Toei Maru the full status of public naval vessel further information with regard to the ships is desired by this government°. If, in the meanwhile, Toei Maru should enter Los Angeles as commercial vessel, no objection is perceived to such visit.

[a] U.S. Government.

Trans. 6‑16‑41

No. 317

FROM: Tokyo (Matsuoka)                                                                   June 13, 1941

TO: Washington (Koshi)                                                                      # 290.

Re my letter # 84 under date of 16 May.

We have been advised by the Navy Ministry that the movements of the Iro (commanded by Naval Captain Jyoe Mizuguti) have been changed to arrive Los Angeles, 9 July, and to depart the 14th. Please arrange accordingly.

Louis J. Sheehan, Esquire


Also please make the following changes in the schedule pertaining to the same cruise:

Eliminate “Sada 7 July”, and under Oudo change “23 August” to “30 August” (Saturday), and under Siriya change ” 30 August” to “9 August” (Saturday) respectively.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: